NC Small Grains
This content covers small grain crops including winter wheat, sorghum, oats, barley, rye, canola and triticale.
- North Carolina Small Grains
General production information, production practices, worker activities, insect and mite pests and their control, diseases and their control, scouting for diseases, non-chemical pest management measures, and weed management are detailed in the profile. List of Extension Specialists is included.
- North Carolina Small Grains Production
Up-to-date website developed by Randy Weisz, NCSU, Department of Crop Science. Includes a video library, production topics, publications on small grains, description of yield contest and crop alerts.
- Disease Identification & Management
The link above leads directly to the disease ID webpage within the NC Small Grains Production website. Topics include small grain disease management, wheat diseases and identification, fungicides for small grains and information on the Plant Disease and Insect Clinic at NCSU. Photographs of diseases are posted.
- Insect Pest Identification & Management
The link above leads directly to the insect ID webpage within the NC Small Grains Production website. Guides and photographs are posted.
- Insect Pests of Small Grains, from Insect and Related Pests of Small Grains
A key to identify small grain pests is presented by N.C. Cooperative Extenison Service.
- The Hessian Fly: A Pest of Wheat in North Carolina
Details of the Hessian fly’s history, life cycle, management and control are included in the article
- Cereal Leaf Beetle, Biology and Management (Virginia Cooperative Extension)
Description, life cycle, damage, management and control, threshold information and scouting methods are included.
- Weed Identification & Management
The link above leads directly to the webpage within the NC Small Grains Production website. Guides on weed control, weed identification and control are listed. Photographs are posted.
- Weed Identification Guide (from Virginia Cooperative Extension)
An aid to identifying common weeds and weed seedlings found throughout Virginia and the the Southeastern U.S.
- North Carolina Agricultural Chemicals Manual
The manual has ten main sections:
I. Pesticide use and safety information
II. Chemical application equipment
III. How to send specimens for disease, insect, and weed identification
IV. Fertilizer use
V. Insect control
VI. Insect and disease control of fruits
VII. Chemical weed control
VIII. Plant growth regulators
IX. Animal damage control
X. Disease control
Detailed information on controlling pests of field crops, forage crops, grains, fruits, vegetables, ornamentals, turf, landscape, nursery, livestock, poultry, home garden, communities, and industrial sites is included.
- Small Grain Production Guide (2013)
Comprehensive guide that contains the following chapters:
1. Small Grain Growth and Development
2. The Wheat Enterprise Budget
3. Small Grain Variety Selection
4. To Plant or Drill: Does Row Spacing Matter?
5. Small Grain Planting Dates
6. A Very-Early-Wheat-Planting System
7. Small Grain Seeding Rates for North Carolina
8. Nitrogen Management for Small Grains
9. Nutrient Management for Small Grains
10. Insect Pest Management for Small Grains
11. Insect Pests of Stored Small Grains
12. Small Grain Disease Management
13. Small Grain Weed Control
- Pesticides & Wildlife – Small Grains
A fact-sheet that describes how pesticides can be managed to minimize harm to wildlife on farms, in our waters and in our forests.
- Scouting Small Grains
Publication by N.C. Cooperative Extension Service that covers scouting for weeds, diseases, and insect pests. Also includes weed and disease mapping, soil sampling and pesticide safety.
- Canola Production in Georgia (University of Georgia)
A complete guide to growing canola that addresses growth requirements, production, fertilization, weather risks, and pest management.