NC Nursery & Ornamentals
- North Carolina Ornamental Plants
Includes information on general production, worker activities, insects, mites, mollusks, diseases, and weeds that attack ornamentals and recommendations on their control. A time line for scouting for pests in greenhouses and nurseries is specified.
- Container and Field-Produced Nursery Crops in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee
Summary from a 2009 workshop that provides an overview of production and a calendar of worker activities in the field nursery. Key pest profiles and critical issues are given for insect, disease and weed pests.
- Diseases of Ornamentals – NCSU Extension Plant Pathology Portal –
A comprehensive webpage with information on diseases of a variety of ornamental plants.
- Ornamentals Disease Information Notes
A webpage that provides links to over 20 publications covering important diseases found in landscapes.
- Insect and Related Pests of Flowers and Foliage Plants
An online document that covers some important, common and potential pests in the Southeastern U.S. Keys to help identify the insects are included.
- Insect and Related Pests of Shrubs
An online document that covers some important, common, and potential pests of shrubs in the Southeastern U.S. Keys to help identify the insects are included.
- Ornamental and Turf Insect Notes – NCSU Department of Entomology
A website with links to numerous articles on insect pests and their control. The pests are listed alphabetically under the categories flowers, house plants, lawn/turf, shrubs and trees. Pest management calendars and information on greenhouse production is included.
- Weed Management in Nursery Crops, Landscapes, and Christmas Trees. This portal provides information about weeds and weed management in ornamental plantings and production. Included are fact sheets on herbicides labeled for use around ornamentals including crop safety, efficacy, injury symptoms, economics and application. Links to IPM publications for nursery crops and landscape plantings are included.
Pest Management Strategic Plan
- Pest Management Strategic Plan for Container and Field-Produced Nursery Crops in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia
A summary of a 2015 workshop on research, extension and regulatory priorities in insect, disease and weed management in container and field-produced nursery crops.
- Pest Management Strategic Plan for Nursery Grown Plants (Container and Field) in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee
A summary of a 2009 workshop on research, extension and regulatory priorities in insect, disease and weed management in container and field-produced nursery crops.
- IPM for Shrubs in Southeastern US Nursery Production: Vol 1
- IPM for Select Deciduous Trees in Southeastern US Nursery Production
- North Carolina Agricultural Chemicals Manual
The manual has ten main sections:
I. Pesticide use and safety information
II. Chemical application equipment
III. How to send specimens for disease, insect, and weed identification
IV. Fertilizer use
V. Insect control
VI. Insect and disease control of fruits
VII. Chemical weed control
VIII. Plant growth regulators
IX. Animal damage control
X. Disease control
Detailed information on controlling pests of field crops, forage crops, grains, fruits, vegetables, ornamentals, turf, landscape, nursery, livestock, poultry, home garden, communities, and industrial sites is included.
- Gardening Portal – N.C. Cooperative Extension
Information for the home gardener
- Cut Flowers Portal – N.C. Cooperative Extension
Information for commercial growers including cut flower trials, postharvest trials, productions and links to related associations
- Horticulture Information Leaflets – Consumer Horticulture – N.C. Cooperative Extension
Topics covered include flowers, fruit, home propagation, houseplant, landscape, shrubs, trees and vegetables.
- Horticulture Information Leaflets – Commercial Flower Production – N.C. Cooperative Extension
Articles on aster, chrysanthemum, geraniums, hydrangea, impatiens, pansy, sunflower production. Other subjects included are height control of greenhouse flowers, using plant growth regulators, managing micronutrients, and water considerations.
- Horticulture Information Leaflets – Commercial Nursery Production – N.C. Cooperative Extension
Publications on boxwood production, conifers, checking EC and pH, propagation, pruning trees, managing drought, and preparing nursery crops for winter are found here.
- Online AG Publications – Department of Horticultural Science, NCSU
Detailed guides on a broad range of horticulture topics including Field Production of Nursery Stock, Grafting and Budding Nursery Crop Plants, Insect and Related Pests of Flowers and Foliage Plants, and Insect and Related Pests of Shrubs.
Was the information on this page helpful?