NC Christmas Trees
The following links will take you to production guides, pest management information and other resources that offer critical information for the commercial production of Christmas trees in North Carolina.
- Christmas Trees (Mountains) (updated 06/02/2008)
A production overview for Fraser fir production within the state of North Carolina including general production information, production practices, worker activities, insect and mite, and disease management including chemical, biological and cultural control methods.
- Christmas Trees (Piedmont and Coastal Plain) (updated 2015)
A production overview for Christmas tree crops in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain of North Carolina including general production information, production practices, worker activities, insect and mite, and disease management including chemical, biological and cultural control methods.
Production and Pest Management Information
- North Carolina Christmas Tree Portal (N.C. Cooperative Extension)
- Christmas Trees Research and Extension (NCSU Extension Forestry)
Link provides information about the NC State University Christmas Tree program and is designed to provide comprehensive information to growers, retailers, and consumers interested in Christmas trees in North Carolina.
- Fraser Fir Pest Control (N.C. Cooperative Extension)
- Christmas Tree Production and Pest Management: MOUNTAINS
(N.C. Cooperative Extension)
Information for Fraser fir Christmas tree growers in western North Carolina.
- Christmas Tree Production and Pest Management: EASTERN NC
(N.C. Cooperative Extension)
Information for Piedmont and Coastal Plain Christmas tree growers.
- IPM Elements for Christmas Trees in Virginia and North Carolina (Virginia Tech and NC State University)
Pest Management Strategic Plan
- North Carolina Agricultural Chemicals Manual
The manual has ten main sections:
I. Pesticide use and safety information
II. Chemical application equipment
III. How to send specimens for disease, insect, and weed identification
IV. Fertilizer use
V. Insect control
VI. Insect and disease control of fruits
VII. Chemical weed control
VIII. Plant growth regulators
IX. Animal damage control
X. Disease control
Detailed information on controlling pests of field crops, forage crops, grains, fruits, vegetables, ornamentals, turf, landscape, nursery, livestock, poultry, home garden, communities, and industrial sites is included.
- Christmas Tree Notes
A series of informational sheets presented in a non-technical format which discusses various aspects of Christmas tree production and marketing that are intended for use by growers, retailers, and consumers.
- North Carolina Christmas Trees (NC Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services)
Marketing and statistical information concerning the production and sales of NC Christmas trees.
- Pesticides & Wildlife – Christmas Trees
A fact sheet explaining how to minimize the damage to wildlife from pesticide use.
- Scouting Fraser Fir in North Carolina
Scouting and control methods for pest commonly found in Fraser fir Christmas trees.